Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nepal First Blog, Sister Schools Program

As I prepare for my second trip to Nepal I am excited about the new Sister Schools Program we have started.  Two weeks ago Hemu Adhikari, Treasurer for Global Action who was born in Chitwan, Nepal and I went to Independent Day School to talk with 500 students.  They were fascinated to hear about the country and when Hemu shared his upbringing in a rural village and what it was like going to school I could see the students begin to understand how lucky they were.  When I told them that ½ of the students there would be hungry and also ½ would get the chance to attend school it inspired them to want to help.  This last Friday I returned and I barely can share how emotional I felt when I saw the outpouring from them.  Two different classes created murals for me to take, other classes painted small paintings with messages about their lives and interests on the back.  I have a full suitcase to carry filled with art supplies, pencils, erasers and pens and the final great gift $700 to start a lunch program in a new school in the Bharse Valley in Gulmi province.  Thank you to Dr Joyce Swarzman, IDS teachers and staff and the amazing students.  One final note 11 year old Taylor from 5th grade had the great idea for us to bring back paintings from the Nepalese children to create T shirts to sell as a fundraiser with Global Action Coalition and Independent Day School partnering to help children in Nepal.  The kind of imitative fills me with help for our future.  Stay tuned to this blog as I travel to some interesting places and introduce you to an amazing group of people.   Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment