Thursday, January 22, 2015


 There and Back Again.   Djibouti  A new country, new challenges new experiences.
      As I fly over the Atlantic Ocean, I have been reflecting why I do this.  There is an old African proverb “If you want to go fast, go alone, If you want to go far go together”.  I watched a movie on the flight called the Good Lie, starring Reese Witherspoon.  It is the story of the journey of several Sudanese children from watching this families and village be destroyed and their remarkable journey to the US.   I will not lie it brought me to tears and also reaffirmed what I am doing.  I have been blessed over the last years with meeting many officers and their families serving at CENTRAL COMMAND from many countries.  This in a strange way led me on this dance.  First it was a request to help in Bangladesh and then on to Nepal with the amazing help of the friends and board members of Global Action Coalition.   Hemu Adhikari, who already had many contacts in Nepal and April Brinks Bailey and Dennis Meyers.   Of course the support of my wife Suzanne Golden has been essential.  I know she worries for me traveling like this, but I know she has my back and I think she believes in my abilities that help when I doubt.  When I arrive in Djibouti my friend who served at CENTCOM, Retired Colonel Mohamad Farah will be there.  He has arranged a meeting with the President and a car and help finding a safe and affordable hotel.  We will have many adventures and in our search for the beginning of a huge project.  What exactly it will end up being remains to be seen.  I know after watching that movie and remembering the children of Nepal that we have helped and will continue to watch over that the only way is for us to go together.  If you follow my blog and it touches your heart, help us.   Rob, #humanitarian, #Africa, #Djibouti, #Sudanese Lost boys

No comments:

Post a Comment